The main focus for an assessment is to enhance the learning process following participation in a CPD.
Attending Certification is awarded against submission of the assessment hereunder.
CPD title: Bleeding Disorders
Date of Event: March 2019
Speakers: Mr Kevin Vella, Dr. Denise Borg Aquilina, Prof Alex Gatt.
Enter your details:
Please answer the following questions by selecting the correct answer.
1.The FVIII one stage assay:
2. For the FIX one stage assay you need:
3. In the case a new born is suspected of having a haemophilia, the best approach towards a final diagnosis is to perform:
4. The sensitivity of an APTT reagent is very important towards the early detection of possible haemophilias:
5. Which of the following TWO statements are TRUE regarding treatment for haemophilia?
One unit coagulant activity is the coagulant activity in 1ml fresh normal plasma
FVIII half life ~18-20 hours
Prothrombin complex concentrate contains Factors II, VII, IX, X
Desmopressin (DDAVP) is used for treatment of both Haemophilia A and Haemophilia B
6. Which of the following TWO statements are TRUE on the Cohn Process?
Developed in the 1960s
Extraction of plasma proteins based on different protein solubility, pH, ethanol concentration, among others
Factor VIII is found in Fraction IV
Products include Albumin, Immunoglobulins and Fibrinogen
7. Which of the following statement is TRUE on the safety of plasma-derived products?
Depends solely on viral reduction methods
The window period is a limitation for virus reduction techniques
Viral reduction methods include heat treatment, solvent/ detergent treatment and nanofiltration
One viral reduction technique is sufficient to remove all viruses
8. Which of the following TWO statements are TRUE on recombinant products
Developed due to concerns about viral safety of plasma-derived products
FVIII gene was the first plasma protein to be cloned using recombinant techniques
Haemostatic efficacy of rh-FVIII and rh-FIX are equivalent to the plasma-derived counterparts
First generation recombinant products involved use of substances of animal origin
Choose the Best Answer for the following questions:
9. Haemophilia A and B:
10. Haemophilia A:
11. Severity of Haemophilia is assessed using laboratory results namely:
12. Typical bleeding patterns in haemophilia in adulthood are: